Friday 23 January 2015

Major Day!

Major day can mean one of two things. The first, that there is some significance to the day, and the second, that we had to select our majors for next year.

So which is it you ask? Well like everything else in CreComm, "It depends"

Today we did select our major and up until a week ago I was sold on Media Production. I enjoyed working with video, pictures, and even the radio...I find that it comes easy to me.

BUT, something happened last week in PR class. We were to look at mission statements for a company that we either have worked for, or just one that we were interested in.

I chose Canad Inns,the company that I have worked for over four and a half years. It took me a while to find their mission statement, I actually had to log into their staff section to find it. And when I did, boy o boy...Here it is. I was disappointed in this, it is very ambiguous and doesn't really say exactly what they do...

I'll come back to this...



Now onto why today is a major day.

Today is a major day because I am going to interview the person who I am writing my feature article about for my magazine. His name is Michael Champagne, he is kind of a big deal and if you don't know who he is, you should. He does a great number of things for the North End and young aboriginals and people in Winnipeg.
I am going to the Meet Me At The Bell Tower rally tonight for the first time. I have a feeling that tonights rally is going to be extra packed because of the recent Maclean's magazine article labelling  Winnipeg as the city in Canada with the largest racism issues.
I'm hoping to get some wicked shots tonight and if I do, I'll post a few for all to see. I'm also hoping that i'll be able to get some good quotes as well.

Alright, back to the major decision...


And here it is, public relations is the choice. I am nervous yet excited to be going forward with PR as my major. I feel like I am more suited for it and believe that it is something I could spend a long amount of time doing in the future!

So, let's hope I made the right choice and all turns out A-OK!

Anyways, I'm off to go do some "real" journalism!

Wow...what an experience. I was able to speak to Maclean's magazine writer Nancy MacDonald, it was brief but interesting!

I spoke and interviewed Robert-Falcon Ouellette, I froze but he was kind of enough to notice and keep the "interview" going.

Met reporters from CTV and CBC, watched their live hits...Was even put on "snowball duty" from Jillian Taylor. Apparently, there were snowball bandits out there and I had to help protect her being pelted live on-air.

Then I was able to sit on my first Meet Me At The Bell Tower meeting. It was informative and interesting, there were many different people all walks of life that attended and spoke up and out against issues that are happening in the North End.

Nancy even came to the meeting and was kind enough to say a few words. Her message to the people in attendance was "I want to come back in one year and talk about all the positive change in Winnipeg–thats my dream."

Then I spoke with a visually exhausted Michael Champagne. He told me his day started at 4 a.m. and consisted of 10 interviews on TV and radio. The guy went all out today.

I let him know that I wouldn't be asking any Maclean's related questions and there was a sense of relief that I felt. We chatted about all sorts of things ranging from his upbringing, the things that he is part of now, and where he hopes to see himself...No spoilers guys sorry, guess you'll just have to read my article when its finished.

Here are a couple of the pics that I took tonight, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment