Friday 26 September 2014

The Kitties

Now, why you are here, to meet the cats, Pancakes and Meisha!

Let's start with a brief history of how I became their owner, and me their master...?

They came to me 3 years apart almost to the month under similar circumstances, what is more interesting is that they were born only 5 days apart. Pancakes or Baby as she was known when I first adopted her came to me through my former boss, Jamie. Jamie a red seal chef, taught me the majority of my finer kitchen skills and am ever thankful the knowledge that he bestowed upon me. It has won me many brownie points over the years, as guests always appreciate a nicely cooked meal.
Side track over, back to Pancakes. Jamie needed to unfortunately put her up for adoption because she became jealous of their newborn baby. They also owned another black cat, which he felt was making it a more difficult transition for Baby. She had been spraying for a few months and to no avail, she was not getting any better.

I had taken care of my friends cat for a few months in the past and enjoyed it,  but had never owned a cat prior to that, only dogs. The cat that I temporarily looked after was good company and fun so I decided that having my OWN cat full of all responsibilities till the end of time was something that I was willing to do.

Making her my own, I decided that she needed a new name, she was still quite young at the time that I got her. I still remember her crying as we drove from Jamie's apartment that cold and snowy December afternoon... It was quite upsetting listening to her cry in her kennel as we weaved down lag up through Osborne and finally to my apartment, her new home.

I came up with the name Pancakes randomly and even though she was scared and skinny I liked it and officially made it her "new" name. She goes by Pancakes of The Cakes, either are acceptable...however, she doesn't really understand when you call her name... :|

Flash forward 2 years and 11 months into the future, a friend of mine had a different but similar situation. Her kitty, Meisha, needed a new home as she decided that her step-dads laptop was the perfect place to create a new litter box.

Meisha also goes by That 'Meish or Meishy or The Simple One... :D

I was a little hesitant at first bringing another cat into my 1 bedroom apartment, but she really needed to find Meisha a new home and very quick. It was supposed to only be a temporary home for her, but I knew that I adopting another cat...And I was surprisingly ok with it.

The evening that she came, her owner brought her and when I met her downstairs she was full of tears and was very upset over the situation, and I don't blame her, I cannot imagine having to give one of my babies away now.

For the next 4 days I played the introduction game, I kept Meisha in my bathroom with food/water and a litter box for herself. The cats would go up to the bottom of the door and sniff and hiss at each other because clearly they were not happy having a new guest and moving to a new home. The following few days I would slowly open the door a little more so that they could see each other and get to know each other a little better.

Things were getting better until one evening when I came home from work I noticed that the door was ajar further than it was supposed to be. So I went searching hoping that everything was ok between the two of them. Turned out that it was ok, or seemed to be ok---I'm not the cat whisperer.

Their personalities will begin to show as more and more stories come out, don't worry, the wait will be worth it.

Without further adieu, I bring you Pancakes and Meisha.



No comments:

Post a Comment