Friday 24 April 2015

CreComm Year One

Well, we've come to the end — well the end for now.

To say this year has been anything but a roller coaster ride would not nothing short of a lie. From the high of registration day, where everybody nervously tried to make small-talk with the person beside them, to the countless Friday afternoons spent, temporarily, releasing some of the week's stresses.

I've learnt to walk up to a stranger and start a conversation and find the deeper meaning of what they are trying to say. I've struggled through not one, but two journalism assignments, Remembrance Day and city hall, where I was so ill that I could barely keep consciousness. And I've lost countless hours of sleep and years off of my life stressing about not only meeting deadlines, but meeting them with adequately produced work.

That being said, I feel like it has been worth it. My grades may not indicate it, but personally, I feel like I have improved as a writer, a film producer, and as a person because of this program. Coming into the Creative Communications program, I believed that I had at least a hold of how to write properly. The economics program is a challenging course that pushes your limits both analytically and critically. It is underestimated in terms of its difficulty amongst many of the university disciplines, yet it is one of most the challenging programs in university. And in CreComm, the word mathematics is not discussed, and when it is, it usually involves something along the lines of, "We're CreComms, we don't do math."

CreComm is a program that is meant to tear you apart and slowly, methodically build you back up again. The instructors hold "us" to a high regard and demand that we produce industry standard work. But you know what, when it's all said and done, I'd rather have that approach than a laissez-faire approach where teachers allow their students to coast and pass them, regardless of the quality of work they hand-in.

At the beginning of the year we were given a "survival guide sheet" that outlines things we should do and know heading into the year, so it should only be fitting that I return the favour for the new crop of "freshies" coming into CreComm.

Here are my top five pieces of advice for incoming students:
         1.) Check you ego at the door, accept criticism, and build yourself from it. (Oxford comma rules                      
               all)
         2.) Do not procrastinate, it will cause you a lot of unnecessary stress.
         3.) Become a master of time-management, especially if you work.
         4.) Make friends with your classmates, you will rely on them in dire situations, and they are  
               great for peer-editing your work.
         5.) Don't be afraid you approach your teacher, they are nice and are more than willing to give    
              you guidance and advice.

I'd like to thank all my readers for taking the time out of their day to read my blog, there are so many options out there, but I've almost hit 2,000 views on my blog. That's a big deal to me.

And of course, my babies would like to say thank-you as well,



1 comment: