Friday 13 February 2015

Reading Week, hurray! ..."Not so fast," said CreComm instructors.

We have arrived at another Reading Week, usually a time for students to regroup, reenergize, and revamp for the final stretch of the school year. However, this year, our teachers have decided that instead of "allowing" us the luxury to doing the aforementioned actions, they have instead plagued us with a laundry's list of assignments that are due the week we return.

In years passed, I've slept the days away, I've caught waves on a catamaran in the Dominican Republic, and I've amped up my the number of shifts worked. 

As each day passed this week, another assignment was forced upon us. First it was the IPP proposal for WC, then it was the Midterm for CW, next it was to read a book and answer questions in J, Thursday it was a proposal strategy for our magazine, and finally to round out the week, a radio assignment.

I was not exaggerating when I said something new every day, it was and remains true. 

Speaking to classmates, they like me are looking forward to having the opportunity to sleep-in during the week. However, each and every one of them say they are as tired as I am and as a few of the teachers have pointed out, we look deflated and appear to lack energy to participate in meaningful conversations. 

Following the final class on Friday, the CreCommers will be taking a stroll down to the
self-proclaimed CreComm watering hole, the King's Head to put behind all the assignments that we, or many of us, recently lost sleep over, the newsletter, the magazine feature article, and our full-page magazine ad.

Needless to say, the libations will be flowing freely, and our worries, albeit temporarily, with them.

This post has more or less been all about the doom and gloom of the impending Reading Week, BUT, there was one single highlight of this week, I am dubbing it 'Catgate'. Earlier this week, an individual Tweeted a photo involving their dog and as the Favourites and Retweets ensued, so did people's desire to include their own pictures, but of their feline companions. This lead the person who created the thread to take a stance against the cat population and go so far as to denounce their inclusion into the feed. This fallout led the masses to choose which side of the aisle they would support, Cats v. Dogs.

It was all in good fun, and I enjoyed the playful banter that came along with Catgate. It was an opportunity for me to take a step back, breathe, relax, and remind myself that all would be ok. 

Here are the two posters that I posted in my class, as an attempt to sway dog lovers over to the cat side.

Remember Y'all, Vote Democats!

And to my fellow classmates, even though we have a heavy amount of school work to do over the break, take a moment and do something that you enjoy, because, after the break, it's going to be chaotic.


No comments:

Post a Comment