Thursday 9 October 2014

Labels Matter

Labels matter eh?

Well yes, they do when it comes to the brand of food you are going to feed your kitties. 

The old adage of you get what you pay for is very true when it comes to the quality of food you purchase.

A lot of the cheaper brands such as Iams and Whiskas are marketed and advertised as good healthy food for your cats. However, if you flip the bag around and look what actually makes up the kibble you'd be ( or at least I was) surprised. The first few ingredients are by-product, corn meal, wheat , soy meal... I could go on but you get the point. It's Shit!

It's full of animal by-products and gluten rich ingredients...Would you want to put that in your body? Probably not. 

I used to be one of those guys who just got the purple bag (Whiskas) because I didn't know any better. It never occurred to me that I should be looking at the labels just as I do with myself. But it only makes sense, so now I do.

I now look at the labels, make sure that meats are the first ingredients are good and healthy for my babies. Company's have started to create G-Free animal food, protein enriched food and older cat food. Don't get me wrong, these brands of food do cost more upfront, but i've noticed that I save more in the long run.

I try and feed my cats the same amount at roughly the same time of the day each day, it helps with weight management and routine. With the Whiskas and other cheap brands of food, I noticed that the bowls would be empty well before their second meal of the day. At first, I thought it was because they enjoyed it so much, but I realized that all the gluten rich ingredients didn't keep them full as long as the protein rich brands. I was then, giving the cats more of the cheap food, thus it came out to be approximately the same as buying them a better quality product.

I come home most nights and their food bowls still have some food left over from the beginning of the day, they are getting all the nutrients that they require and are fuller off less food.

Here is an example of my most recent purchases list of ingredients.

And this is the bag itself...

As you can see...The ingredients are Turkey, Duck, Pea protein, Chickpeas, tomato, peas, canola oil... All these things are great for your cat. Heck, I wish I ate that healthy.

Now the Bag art itself, its got a cat glasses on it (smart kitty) and it's the Diva recipe...sooooo obviously I had to get it for these two divas :D

So I urge you, next time you need to get more food for your babies, flip that bag around and look at what is actually in the food. Your cat health and waistline will thank-you.😸


No comments:

Post a Comment